Monday, January 13, 2014

Phrasal verbs made amazingly easy

Many students find it hard to learn phrasal verbs and it's often a challenge to teach them.

Great News! I wrote a book that solves this problem and has been tried and tested in the classroom. Here's how it works:

Amazingly Easy Phrasal Verbs makes learning phrasal verbs incredibly easy and enjoyable. The unique learning method means you’ll learn them really fast and remember them for ever! It’s like nothing you’ve ever seen or used before and you’ll be amazed with the results! 

Amazingly Easy Phrasal Verbs teaches differently by: - focussing on the most important and used phrasal verbs - placing phrasal verbs within a single, ongoing story - one of the oldest and best learning techniques known to man! - introduces one new phrasal verb per paragraph - repeats this showing its different uses and collocations - introduces just 5 -7 phrasal verbs per chapter (the optimum number of pieces of new information that can be learnt at once) -provides chapter by chapter tests to reinforce and check understanding.


Oh yes, and there's no messing about splitting root verb and particle and trying to get you to guess the endings - what use it that? They are always presented as multi-word verbs and a complete piece of information -that's how natives learn them so why not others?

Like to see a sample chapter?

Of course - here it is:


Chapter 1 - Alan returns from holiday

Run out of - to have no more of something

This morning, I wanted some toast but I’d run out of bread. So, I went out of the house and got into the car. I turned the key but the car didn’t start - I’d run out of petrol! I ran down the road to the shop but they’d run out of sliced bread. I decided to buy some rolls instead. Then I realised I’d run out of money. I’m always doing it and the shopkeeper has run out of patience with me. I came home, looked at the clock and saw that I’d run out of time for breakfast.

You can run out of food, most substances and materials, time, money, patience and luck.
What have you ever run out of?

Put off - postpone doing something

It’s my own fault - I’m always putting things off. I don’t like shopping so I put off going to the shops. I hate filling up the car with petrol so I put off going to the petrol station. I hate queuing so I put off going to the bank and now I’ve got toothache because I’ve been putting off going to the dentist for weeks.

You can put off doing most things - although it’s not a good habit! What things do you put off?

Get back - to return

Although, I have got an excuse; I only got back last night. I’d been away on holiday and the flight got back late and it was even later by the time I got back to the house. I can tell you, I wasn’t exactly looking forward to getting back to work.

You get back to a place or activity.

Hold up - delay

The problem is that there was a hold up with my flight coming back. First of all, we were held up at the airport because of a storm and no flights could take off. Then we were held up waiting for other flights to take off. Finally, we were held up at the airport when we got back because the baggage carousel was broken. It was just one hold up after another.

As you can see, hold up also exists as a noun. Apart from the meaning of delay, it can also mean stopped by a robber. Joke: a man goes to town and comes back two hours later. When he returns his wife says, ‘You’ve been a long time.’ Yes, sorry,’ he says, ‘I was held up at the bank!’

Break down - stop working

Oh, I nearly forgot, on the way home the taxi broke down. Can you believe my luck? Fortunately, we didn’t have to wait too long for the breakdown recovery vehicle to arrive but I was still depressed; I don’t have any luck with mechanical things. Before I went on holiday my car, my computer and my printer all broke down.
Has anything broken down on you lately?

Give in - to stop fighting, admit defeat

I used to get annoyed about it but now I just give in. With technology, I can’t win so I might as well give in. It’s like when Terry asks me stupid questions like what’s the capital of Guatemala? ‘I don’t know,’ I say, ‘I give in.’

Do you give in or fight back?

Show off - to boast and display

Oh well, I don’t care. I can’t wait to get back to work and show off my tan and the photos of the beautiful beach. There’s even a picture of me standing next to a Ferrari. I pretended it was mine - just to show off!

You can also be a show off. What do you show off about? Nothing? I believe you!






Now summarise Chapter 1

Alan _____________ of bread because he _____________ going to the shops. He hadn’t been shopping because he ______________ late. The flight was late because it was ___________. He was also late because his taxi ______________. He doesn’t have much luck with technology so he finds it’s easiest just to ____________. Anyway, he doesn’t care because he can _____________ his tan.


Mini test

1) Can you believe that’s the third time this week the photocopier has _____________?
2) What time do you think you’ll _____________ from the meeting?
3) Julie loves herself; she’s such a ______________.
4) I don’t know, I ____________.
5) I think I’ll ______________ visiting my sister until next week.
6) I hope you like your coffee black, I’ve ____________ of milk.
7) He’s probably been _____________ in the traffic.

Answers in tomorrow's post.

Like to buy it now? It's available in ebook form on all Amazon sites - with permission to copy for lessons.

Amazon.com
Amazon.co.uk
Amazon.es
Amazon.it
Amazon.de